The core responsibility of the Board of Trustees is to advance the mission of the school as effectively as possible and to hold the school “in trust” for future students and their families.
The board is the guardian of the school’s mission. It is the board’s responsibility to ensure that the mission is relevant and vital to the community it serves and to monitor the success of the school in fulfilling its mission.
While the Board focuses on strategic issues and on the long term well being of the school, responsibility for day to day administration including all aspects of the instructional program is delegated to the head of school.
The following Principles of Good Practice are set forth to provide a common perspective on the responsibilities of independent school boards. The board and the head work in partnership in fulfilling these principles.
- The board adopts a clear statement of the school’s mission, vision, and strategic goals and establishes policies and plans consistent with this statement.
- The board reviews and maintains appropriate bylaws that conform to legal requirements, including duties of loyalty, obedience, and care.
- The board assures that the school and the board operate in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, minimizing exposure to legal action.
- The board accepts accountability for both the financial stability and the financial future of the institution, engaging in strategic financial planning, assuming primary responsibility for the preservation of capital assets and endowments,and overseeing operating budgets. The Board develops and approves an annual budget based on operational needs and strategic priorities.
- The board selects, supports, nurtures, evaluates, and sets appropriate compensation for the head of school.
- The board recognizes that its primary work and focus are long-range and strategic.
- The board undertakes formal strategic planning on a periodic basis, sets annual goals related to the plan.
- The board keeps full and accurate records of its meetings, committees, and policies and communicates its decisions widely, while keeping its deliberations confidential.
- Board composition reflects the strategic expertise, resources, and perspectives (past, present, future) needed to achieve the mission and strategic objectives of the school.
- The board works to ensure all its members are actively involved in the work of the board and its committees.
- As leader of the school community, the board engages proactively with the head of school in cultivating and maintaining good relations with school constituents as well as the broader community and exhibits best practices relevant to equity and justice.
The Current Board of Trustees is as follows:
Dr. Vince Zammuto, Chairman
Kevin Luther, Vice-Chairman
Dr. Robert Head, Treasurer
Roger Fisher, Secretary